This is the post for the September 11, 2014 class meeting.
Today is the due date for Project 1. We’ll go over the reflection memo and how to submit your project. Aim to submit your work by midnight in your timezone, but remember that you have a one-week grace period if you need it. No excuses needed. If something has gone wrong in your world, simply be sure that you have your work turned in by 11:55 PM on September 18.
Class Work for September 11
These are the tasks to complete for today’s work:
- Review requirements for Project 1.
- Discuss the FAQs for using Google Drive.
- Go over the reflection memo and how to submit Project 1 in Scholar.
You may want to print out today’s post so you can check off the steps for submitting your project as you work through them. If you run into trouble submitting your work, send me an email message with the details and I will reply ASAP.
- Thursday, Sept 11 by 11:55 PM: Project 1: Professional Biography Statement Due
- Thursday, Sept 18 by 11:55 PM: Project 1: Professional Biography Statement Deadline (end of grace period)
Requirements for Project 1
You need to turn in a reflection memo as well as a link to the biograpy statement(s) you have written. The number of bios you turn in will depend upon the grade you are working toward.
Remember to check your spelling and proofread for grammar and punctuation in your bios.
Using Google Drive
The FAQ site has step-by-step instructions for tasks you will complete with your Google Drive, including converting your document if you have worked in another word processor, adding comments, and sharing your documents are all included.
To make sure that you can submit your first project smoothly, pay attention to the following FAQs:
- If you worked in something other than Google Drive, you can use your preferences to automatically convert files you upload to Google Drive automatically.
This step is important so that I can use the commenting features in Google Drive.
- If you already uploaded a document to Google Drive, check the format of your files and manually convert the files on Google Drive if necessary.
- Follow the instructions on how to set permissions and get the Google Drive Share link to get a link that will allow me to read and comment on your document.
Note that if your documents are in the wrong format or the permissions do not allow me to comment, I will return your work ungraded.
Writing Your Reflection Memo
As I explained in the assignment, the reflection memo is your chance to tell me anything you want me to know about your project. I will read your reflection before I read the bios.
For this project, your reflection memo will give me the link(s) to your biography statements on Google Drive and to your About.me profile if you created one. You will also tell me about what you have written. Follow these instructions to submit your work:
- Go to the Assignments tab on the left menu in Scholar.
- Choose “P1: Professional Bio Statement.”
- Scroll down to the text box below the headings Submission and Assignment Text. You will write your reflection memo in this box. (Alternately, you can write in a word processor and copy/paste your text into this box.)
- Add your memo headers (To, From, Subject, and Date). For your reflection memo, you’ll use the following:
- Address your memo to me (Traci) and from you (use your name).
- Add a subject line that indicates this is your reflection memo and which project it is for.
- Add the current date.
- Label the document so I know whether it is a formal bio, an informal bio, or an About.me profile.
- For the formal or informal bio, add the Share link to the document on your Google Drive. Use the instructions for how to get the Share link on the FAQ site if you are unsure how to share documents.
- Explain who the audience for your statement(s) is. What do I need to know to understand the information you have included and the tone you have used?
- For the About.me profile, add the link to your public page.
- Tell me anything else you want me to know about the bio, including the content, the layout and design, and any images you included.