This is the post for the November 18, 2014 class meeting.
Today is the due date for Project 5. The grace period will end at 11:55 PM on Tuesday, December 2.
Class Work for November 18
These are the tasks to complete for today’s work:
- Go over the requirements for Project 5.
- Review the location of the FAQs for using Google Drive.
- Discuss the reflection memo and how to submit Project 5 in Scholar.
Requirements for Project 5
You need to turn in a reflection memo as well as a link to the documents you have chosen to write (extended definition, instructions, and glossary). Use the Writer’s Checklist on pages 388–389 of Markel to check your work. In particular, check the following:
- Make sure that your Extended Definition is clear and complete, and that it uses layout and design to make the information easy to read.
- Be sure that your Instructions include numbered steps, use imperative verbs, and have an open and airy layout.
- Check that your Glossary uses layout and design to make the terms and definitions clear, that the entries in alphabetical order, and that the glossary entries use broken sentences.
For all the documents you turn in, remember to check your spelling and proofread for grammar and punctuation.
Google Drive FAQs
To make sure that you can submit your project smoothly, pay attention to the following FAQs:
- If you worked in something other than Google Drive, you can use your preferences to automatically convert files you upload to Google Drive automatically.
This step is important so that I can use the commenting features in Google Drive.
- If you already uploaded a document to Google Drive, check the format of your files and manually convert the files on Google Drive if necessary.
- Follow the instructions on how to set permissions and get the Google Drive Share link to get a link that will allow me to read and comment on your document.
Writing Your Reflection Memo and Submitting Your Project
Your reflection memo is your chance to tell me anything you want me to know before I read your project. For this project, your reflection memo will give me the link to your spreadsheet on Google Drive and the link to your analysis memo if you created one. You will also tell me about what you have written. Follow these instructions to submit your work:
- Go to the Assignments tab on the left menu in Scholar.
- Choose “P5: Definition and Instructions.”
- Scroll down to the text box below the headings Submission and Assignment Text. You will write your memo in this box. (Alternately, you can write in a word processor/Google Doc, and copy/paste your text into this box.)
- Add your memo headers (To, From, Subject, and Date). For your reflection memo, you’ll use the following:
- Address your memo to me (Traci) and from yourself (use your name).
- Add a subject line that indicates this is your reflection memo and which project it is for.
- Add the current date.
- Label the link so I know which document it will take me to.
- Add the Share link to the document on your Google Drive. Use the instructions for how to get the Share link on the FAQ site if you are unsure how to share documents.
- Tell me what I need to know to understand the information you have included in your document.
- Tell me anything else you want me to know about the the layout and design.